Thursday, June 7, 2012


My Manifesto

by: Christina Dewland




Everyone around the world has at least one wish. Whether you are a student at Drexel or in a neighboring community like Lancaster.



While not completely understanding what a “manifesto” is, I thought this definition described it pretty well:



A manifesto is a public declaration of principles and intentions.



 Here are my main principals:

1. MOST human beings are inherently benevolent

2. MOST will make a wish to benefit friends, family and loved ones

3. Making ONE wish is a hard task to complete

4. MOST people are not content with things

5. Everyone can name at least one thing they want and don’t have

6. Others are selfish, and wish for things that would benefit only them

7. Everyone does have one wish

8. Wishes can vary in many ways

9. MOST people will NOT wish harm on others

10. People that come from two different neighborhoods can have the same wish despite age, sex or race.



My Intentions:

My intentions were simple. I wanted to bridge the gap between Drexel University and the neighboring areas. I decided to “collect” people’s wishes & map them. The outcome showed that people who differed in race, religion, sex, and age generally wished for the wellbeing of others.



The wishes were very touching. One said “I wish my grandmother’s eyesight was back.” Then I thought to myself how unselfish this act was. This person could of asked to be extremely wealthy, have a new car, a new house…anything. But with only one wish, this person wanted to help his/her grandmother.



That’s exactly what I was trying to prove. We, the human race are generally good people. Of course, there are bad people in the world, but not everyone is like that. We are the only species who can love and have feelings. So for the most part, people made wishes to benefit others. A couple even wished for world peace.



We have more things in common with other people than we would think. That is another point. We are the same as the residents of Powelton, Mantua, Belmont, etc.  



The project was a success, and in the end I am happy I took this class. It was a wonderful experience going out into Drexel and Lancaster asking the students/residents to make a wish. It was fun, exciting and in the end, you realize we are all similar in some ways. Good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment